Monday 13 June 2016

Have time to kill?? Want to make a mess?? In need of a manicure anyway??

This morning I answered "yes" to all of the questions in the above title.  I decided to make a batch of cold porcelain.  I have made this once before and I don't recall it being so messy.  Therefore, either my memory is fuzzy or my age is making me messier.........probably both!

Here is an example of my mess.  I don't like this as I was taught to clean up as I go along when I am baking, never having a mess when I am finished.  However, this recipe requires a person to work fast and clean up time was hard to come by.



I love to work with cold porcelain clay because it is easy to work with, you can add any colour you like, easily, and it is air drying.  Yes, it is awesome.  Making it, however, is another story.

I will post this photo of the rather messy recipe first, in case you feel the need to attempt to make some without my pertinacity for disaster in the kitchen.


A word of advice.......check the power of your microwave as mine, I believe, is not as powerful as 1000 watt and it took about twice as long to cook it.  (new microwave since I last made it)  This was okay, except that the clay got very hot, making it difficult to knead.  :-)



I managed to complete the 10 minutes of kneading without doing too much damage to my hands from the heat (by the time I was finished, it had cooled down nicely, of course........:-)



Here is the finished product, formed into a log, with the blob of face cream on top.  (BTW, I used inexpensive face cream from a dollar store with good results)  Now I need to smooth the cream over the dough and coat the inside of the bag.

Another mess ensued when I smeared the cold porcelain into the bag  to let it sit for 24 hours.  An extra set of hands is very much recommended when you are making this recipe.  The extra set of hands that are normally available to me were busy taking amusing her 4 1/2 month old son (my grandson, Cohen).  I forgave her for that fairly quickly.  :-)


I did it!  Now to find the patience to wait 24 hours until I can use it!  

Until then, back to work adding items to my website.
www.grandpasdollhouse.com

Until tomorrow..........fingers crossed for success.............Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment