Tuesday 14 June 2016

Progress and Discoveries..........

Hurray.  I managed to carve some time out of my day today to play!  Yipee!  It has been too many years since I took the time to play with clay.

When I had my retail store open, I made all of the food that I sold in the store.  It worked well because I could work in between customers, doing something I really enjoyed.  With the closing of my brick and mortar store and the arrival of two gorgeous grandsons, I did not have much time to "create".

Yesterday, as you read, I took the bull by the horns and made a batch of  cold porcelain clay.  I am happy to say that the batch turned out very well.  Here is how it looks after sitting for 24 hours........ready to use!  Awesome.........let's create!

The first thing that I did was add some yellow chalk to a chunk of the clay and made some bananas.  They turned out okay.  I still have to add the details with bits of brown on the ends and I think I need to work on the shape a bit but it is a start.  Then I added orange chalk to more of the clay.  I did not like the colour so ended up adding paint to it.  This is what I added:

A word of warning, when it says multi-surface adhesion, this includes hands and nails.  My hands look like I am turning into a pumpkin.  Next time I will use gloves when I work with this paint.  Live and learn.

Here are the carrots and bananas that I created, still put aside, giving them time to air dry.

I also made potatoes but they are not dry enough to paint yet, so they just look like lumps of white clay with spots.  I will post photos of them when they are finished.

I also made some bread.  I am very pleased with how they turned out.  I have sliced the loaves and put them on cutting boards.  I think I will add these to my Etsy site soon.  I made these with Sculpey instead of the air dry clay because I wanted to add the holes to make the inside look more realistic.  They are still a work in progress but it just feels good to be making mini food again!

Here are the three loaves of bread that I have finished so far:
I am going to add a knife and some other food to this one to fill the cutting board.

This one is on one of the cutting boards that we make with our laser.  

I may keep this one for my own collection as it is the first one I made.  Once a mini addict, always a mini addict.  :-)
This is all for today.  I hope to find some time to finish up the bananas, carrots and potatoes tomorrow.  If I do, I will share the finished items with you then.

Until then, mini on and have a great time!  ----Liz

2 comments:

  1. Hello Liz,
    Those are great. I must admit I have not used clay of any kind much...not my preferred medium to use. You really have a talent for it.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Giac. My dream is to take a workshop from a miniature food artisan. I love playing with clay. The work that you do leaves me in awe of your talent. I can't even cut a good mitre. :-)

    ReplyDelete